There always comes a time for birds when their parents decide it’s time for them to leave their cosy nest and learn how to fly and often times we have comfortable nests of our own that we’re stuck in.
In the first few chapters of Deuteronomy you see that there is a pattern of getting stuck and that can be true in our lives as well, stuck in jobs, life situations, bad relationships or narratives that we haven’t moved on from, we go round and round in circles.
Change is tough, whether it’s from a good or a bad situation, we’d rather stay in the same place. But God wants to transform us and move us forward for the plan He has for us.
How do we face these changes when the nest becomes uncomfortable, how do we respond when we’re stuck in a rut?
- Change your mindset
- Deuteronomy 1:21
- The Lord knows the 2 things that stop us; fear and discouragement, they limit our mindset. Our mind always focuses on the negative, it misses out the wonderful things that happened in the past. And that’s what had happened at the beginning of Deuteronomy, they had forgotten about the miracles God had done before. They had a mindset that lives in the fear of failure.
- However, in our moments of seeming failure and discouragement God is adding skills and abilities that we will need in the future to accomplish his purpose for us.
- We need to get up and move one, accept that you’ve had some bad ideas, that you’ve had some failures, but the point is your failure doesn’t define you.
- You’re not a victim, you’re a victor, because God has called you to be victorious.
- Change your mouth
- Deuteronomy 1:25-28
- God had already given them the land, they just had to step out but they refused and focused on the negative. A negative mindset brings a mouth that is dripping with negativity.
- When David went to fight Goliath he didn’t think of the negative, he said even though my stone is small because the target is so big there’s no way I can miss.
- Matthew 9:29
- Don’t let yourself talk negatively, proclaim the promises God gave us. What are the words coming out of your mouth? Is it all negative, then speak out words of faith, the words that come out of your mouth count.
- Psalm 71:8
- If you leave your mouth empty the enemy will fill it, so fill it by declaring the praises of God, declare testimonies of God.
- Move on
- in Deuteronomy 2:3
- Simple direction, Gods saying you’ve gone around the mountain long enough, now it’s time to move on in another direction.
- Sometimes we think it’s better to stay somewhere that we know, but is that where God’s called you to be? Let’s not settle, when we change our mindset and our mouth, our being starts responding and moving in the direction that God has for us.
- If God is making your nest uncomfortable then it’s time to change your behaviour, stop fighting and start receiving. If he’s pushing you out of the nest he’s pushing you to a world of unlimited possibilities, so embrace it.
Are you willing to accept the change and discomfort God is bringing, are you ready to fly to the heights he’s calling you to?